M-480: 48-Channel Live Digital Mixing Console
The Flagship Console of the V-Mixing System
With superb sound quality, powerful functions, expandability and intuitive operation; the V-Mixing System continues to introduce new possibilities to the live mixing market. Now after its 2007 debut and as a direct response to actively listening to our users, the next generation V-Mixer has arrived. Equipped with a newly developed mixing engine, the M-480 provides an enhanced level of powerful and flexible audio processing.
The M-480 is the first V-Mixer to support a cascade connection that enables 96 channels of mixing by connecting a second unit - all via one simple Cat5e/6 cable. Supporting live events, mobile production, broadcasting, and sound installation the V-Mixing System with the M-480 V-Mixer at its heart provides a premium level of innovation for any live mixing venue. The M-480 is the flagship of the V-Mixer lineup which includes the M-400, M-380, M-300 and the M-200i. To find out more about how each model compares see the V-Mixer Comparison Chart.
Multi-channel live recording using SONAR X2 Essential is included with any M-480, M-300 and M-200i V-Mixer registration.Using the latest V2.0 REAC driver in concert with SONAR X2 Essential (Windows 7/8) enables the direct capture of up to 40 audio channels, all via a simple Cat5/6e cable from a V-Mixer Console or split port to the PC's network port. In addition, SONAR Essential includes a complete DAW feature set. Learn more about Sonar X2 Essential. Register your V-Mixer and check the box indicating your interest in the REAC Recording package.
M-480 Main Features
- 48 mixing channels plus 6 stereo returns for a total of 60 channels
- Main (LCR) outputs, 16 AUX buses, 8 matrices
- Configurable to 90 inputs and 90 outputs depending on Digital Snake configuration
- 4-band advanced parametric EQ, and delays on all inputs and outputs
- Compressors and Gates on all mixing channels
- Six built-in stereo (dual-mono) multi-effects and twelve graphic EQs (switchable to 8-band PEQs)
- 214 possible output patch points on each port (A,B, console). Allows direct routing from preamp to output point without having to use mix channel.
- Supports integration with Personal Mixing System and Multi-Channel Live Recording/Playback
- Cascade connection supports large format applications for 96 mixing channels
Recent Awards and Nominations
We are pleased to announce that the Roland M-480 has been nominated by the TEC foundation for a Technical Achievement award in the category of Sound Reinforcement Console Technology. Founded in 1985, the Technical Excellence & Creativity Awards is the foremost program recognizing the achievements of audio professionals. Presented annually by the TEC Foundation for Excellence in Audio, the TEC Awards recognizes the individuals, companies and technical innovations behind the sound of recordings, live performances, films, television, video games, and other media.
TEC Awards nominations are made by a panel of industry professionals and voted upon by members of various professional organizations and audio industry websites. The awards are divided into two categories: Technical Achievement and Creative Achievement. These prestigious awards will be presented during the Winter NAMM in Anaheim California on January 20th, 2012.
For more information about TEC awards and voting instructions, please visit www.tecfoundation.com
WFX 2011 Winner Best Digital Mixing Console: M-480.
New Product Technology Awards, presented by Church Production Magazine, Worship Facilities Magazine, and Worship Facility Designer, is the most comprehensive Audio, Video, Lighting, and New Media product awards in the house of worship market. These products are recognized for their innovation and application for churches of all sizes and styles.
See more Roland Systems Group awards and nominations on our Awards Page.
More InfoAdvanced Processing Power
The processing power of the M-480 supports the widest range of venues and applications. The newly developed mixing engine provides a 4-band fully parametric EQ, gate, compressor, and delay on each input channel. 214 possible patch points with 90 discreet outputs.
Easy, intuitive and award-winning interface design
The large color display and dedicated knobs and buttons in the channel edit section offers intuitive operation. The user interface is designed to be easy to learn and easy to use. Combining the cursor buttons around the value dial provides optimized and efficient operation.
All input and output channels equipped with delay
In large format venues such as a concert halls and stadiums as well in broadcast applications, audio time alignment settings are critical. The M-480 is equipped with delays on all mixing channels and outputs buses. High quality and precise sound adjustments can be accomplished by using the built-in real time analyzer.
The cascade capability enables a solution for high channel counts
The M-480 supports a cascade connection requested by many live sound engineers. Connecting two M-480s with one REAC cable enables the mixing of up to 96 channels as well as advanced synchronization of internal buses. A mixing environment equivalent to a large format console can be created within a minimal footprint and budget.
Powerful mixing capacity
The capacity of 48 mixing channels, 6 stereo returns, main LCR outputs, 16 AUX buses, and 8 matrices supports any venue or application. The fully assignable REAC A and B patchbays allows for very flexible internal routing. A post preamp patchpoint allows direct routing from inputs to outputs without having to route through the console.
Newly developed mixing engine with powerful signal processing
All inputs and outputs are equipped with a 4-band fully parametric EQ. A gate, compressor and delay is also available on all mixing channels. Channel parameters are controlled using the dedicated knobs and buttons. With a high resolution crystal clear color display, the M-480 provides an unprecedented audio mixing experience.
Rich effects along with Twelve GEQs/PEQs
The M-480 is equipped with six dual-mono, multi-effects processors that are available as AUX or insert effects. Each multi-effects processor has 18 algorithms of various types such as reverb, delay, chorus, pitch shift and advanced channel strip. Six types of precisely emulated legendary vintage Roland effects such as the RE-201, SDE-3000, and SRV-2000 are included. In addition, twelve 31-band graphic EQs or 8-band fully parametric EQs are included for sound adjustment. The six multi-effects and twelve GEQs/PEQs can be used simultaneously for a total of 24 GEQs if needed.
All inputs and outputs are equipped with delay
The M-480 is equipped with delay on all input channels and output busses. Problems with sound delay in a concert venue or broadcast application can be solved using the internal processor. Delay time is adjustable up to 400msec, and is selectable in both time and distance units between msec/feet/meters / frames. It also features a high performance graphical real time analyzer for precise and focused sound adjustment.
Remote control and offline setup using a PC
The M-480 can be controlled remotely by connecting an PC via USB. The M-480RCS control software has the same user interface as the built-in display. The M-480RCS can also be used when the M-480 is not connected allowing offline setup and configuring of the system before an event. Setup data can then be copied to a USB flash drive ready to load into the console at the venue. Using a connected PC and a wireless LAN, a tablet device can control the M-480 from a remote location like the stage or a seat in the audience.
Three live recording options
The M-480 supports live multi-channel recording. Simply connect the R-1000 with Cat5e/6 cables to easily record (or playback) up to 48 channels of 24 bit audio.
Uncompressed BWF file data is stored on a removable SSD or HDD where it can be edited later in the studio with a DAW of choice. By using Cakewalk SONAR Producer software*, up to 40 channels can be recorded directly by simply connecting a single REAC cable to a PC. In addition, the built-in USB memory recorder can record a stereo output signal from the M-480 as an uncompressed WAV file. The USB memory recorder also supports WAV file playback for convenient playback of music and announcements.
* REAC driver kit is required to record using Cakewalk SONAR directly.
Support and management of multiple M-48 Live Personal Mixers for the ultimate in monitoring environments
For the performing musician wanting the best possible sound quality and ﬂexibility in their individual stage mix, the M-48 Live Personal Mixer offers control over 40 audio sources that can be easily managed in 16 assignable stereo groups. Conﬁgurations are straightforward with the ability to control, save and recall all connected M-48s from an M-480, M-400, M-380 or M-300 V-Mixer allowing the FOH engineer to assist in setup and mixing. The use of IEMs (In-Ear Monitors) dramatically reduces the amount of sound picked up by stage microphones. It also eliminates feedback while providing superb sound quality for both live performance and recording.
Roland has been a leader in creating some of the world's most popular effect processors. Included in the M-480 are six perfectly emulated popular and classic vintage effects.
M-480 Version 1.5
Based directly on user requests, this firmware update introduces features especially for operators who mix sound for Theater and Broadcast. New effects parameters also allow all new creative opportunities and sound shaping power.
Version 1.5 Highlights:
- Increased DCA count from 8 to 24
- Audio Volume Crossfade on Scene Change
- Increased input and output delay time up to 1.2 seconds for broadcast and large outdoor applications
- Five new effect processors including Multi-Band Compression/Expansion and BOSS digital effect models
- Second order shelving EQ option for Lo and Hi bands for channel parametric EQs
- Mutually Exclusive LR/C assignment for cross-matrixed linear array speaker configurations
- Delay setting in "samples"
- Monitor dimmer setting
DCA Groups increased to 24
The increased DCA groups to 24, provide new power increasing mixing effectiveness in larger and more complex applications such as theater/broadcast and when using cascaded 96 channel configurations. The 24 DCAs can all be easily edited and controlled through a new, easy to use DCA management interface.
New Scene Fade Function
The Scene Fade function allows channel audio levels to be set to fade smoothly when a scene is changed. Fade time is selectable up to 100 seconds and can be set to on or off for each channel individually by each scene. This function is ideal for musical and theater applications.
Five BOSS Effects Added
Five new channel effects include Multi-Band Compression/Expansion and four modeled BOSS compact effects including OD/DS series (Overdrive/Distortion), DD-3 (Digital Delay), DM-5 (Delay) and CE-1 (Chorus Ensemble), bringing more control and snap to live productions.
New Mastering Tool Kit
The new Mastering Tool Kit has been developed to include multiband compressors and expanders. The delay parameter included on each channel input and each output can now be set up to 1.2 seconds. This is especially important when longer times are required in video/streaming production or audio time alignment at large venues.
M-400/480 Labeling Template
Use this PDF label template to print labels for your M-400 or M-480 unit onto standard 8.5"x11" sticker or magnetic laser/inkjet paper. One page contains enough for one unit.
|The backbone of the V-Mixing System is based on REAC – Roland's Ethernet Audio Communication transmission protocol for low latency, high quality digital audio transfer. Products using REAC technology are installed today in many venues and have been used for high profile events worldwide. REAC's 24-bit, 40x40 channel protocol delivers pristine digital audio via lightweight, inexpensive and easy to install cable (Cat5e/6). REAC technology is immune to externally induced signal quality degradation or hums and buzzes typically found in analog systems. You have more freedom in cable placement resulting in lower cost and better sounding. Learn more about the power and benefits of REAC.|
See Pre-Configured V-Mixing Systems ready to go here.
More Configuration Examples
Although numerous configurations are possible, here are a few of the more popular ones. Click on a thumbnail to see the corresponding diagram.
Example Split Configurations
- Mixing Channels
- 60 total - 48 channels, 6 stereo returns
- Up to 90
REAC A: up to 40 depending on Digital Snake head connected
REAC B: up to 40 depending on Digital Snake head connected
Console: 8 XLR + RCA stereo
* Using the S-4000M Merge Unit allows up to 4 Digital Snake heads to be connected to one REAC port. This will allow for up to 160 inputs to be access (40 inputs x 4 ports). Using an S-4000M on each port will allow the M-480 to see up to 320 inputs in addition to the 10 on the console.
- Up to 90
REAC A: up to 40 unique physical outputs depending on Digital Snake configuration
REAC B: up to 40 unique physical outputs depending on Digital Snake configuration
Console: 8 XLR + stereo S/PDIF
* All output fully assignable from 24 different patch points.
+ REAC A or B can be split limitless times by using a standard Ethernet switch such as the S-4000D.
- 27 Busses: MAIN L/C/R, 16 AUX, 8 MATRIX
- AD/DA Conversion
- 24-bit/48.0 kHz or 44.1 kHz
- Network Latency
- 2.8 mS (typ.)
*Total System Latency of audio signal from S-1608 inputs to outputs via M-480's REAC ports (A or B). Sample Rate at 48.0 kHz with no insert effects
- CONSOLE INPUT jacks (1 to 8)
- XLR-3-31 type (balanced, phantom power)
- TALKBACK MIC IN jack
- XLR-3-31 type (balanced, phantom power)
- STEREO IN jacks (L / R)
- RCA phono type
- CONSOLE OUTPUT jacks (1 to 8)
- XLR-3-32 type (balanced)
- PHONES jack
- Stereo 1/4 inch phone type
- DIGITAL OUT jacks Stereo
- Optical type, Coaxial type
- REAC Ports
- RJ-45 EtherCon type
- USB connectors
- USB Type A and Type B
- Remote Controls
- RS-232C connector: 9-pin D-sub type, MIDI connectors
(OUT/THRU, IN): 5-pin DIN type
- Other Connectors
- GND Terminal, LAMP connector XLR-4-31 type
- Input/Output Characteristics
- Frequency Response
- CONSOLE OUTPUT jacks (1 to 8): -2 dB / +0 dB (20 k ohms load, +4 dBu,typ.)
PHONES jack: -3 dB / +0 dB (40 ohms load, 150 mW, typ.)
- Total Harmonic Distortion + Noise
- CONSOLE OUTPUT jacks (1 to 8): 0.05 % (+4 dBu, typ.)
PHONES jack: 0.05 % (typ., 40 ohms load, 150 mW, typ.)
- Dynamic Range CONSOLE OUTPUT jacks (1 to 8): 110 dB (typ.)
- Crosstalk@ 1 kHz CONSOLE INPUT jacks (1 to 8): -80 dB (Pad: ON, Input gain: +10 dBu, typ.)
- Nominal Input Level (Variable)
- CONSOLE INPUT jacks (1 to 8): -65 to -10 dBu (Pad: OFF) or -45 to +10 dBu (Pad: ON), (typ.)
STEREO IN jacks (L / R): -18 to 0 dBu TALKBACK MIC IN jack: -50 to -10 dBu
- Input Impedance
- CONSOLE INPUT jacks (1 to 8): 14 k ohms STEREO IN jacks (L / R): 10 k ohms
TALKBACK MIC IN jack: 41 K ohms
- Non Clip Maximum Input level
- CONSOLE INPUT jacks (1 to 8): +8 dBu (Pad: OFF) or +28 dBu (Pad: ON),(typ.)
STEREO IN jacks (L / R): +18 dBu (typ.)
TALKBACK MIC IN jack: +8 dBu (typ.)
- Nominal Output Level CONSOLE OUTPUT jacks (1 to 8): +4 dBu (Load impedance: 10 kohms, typ.)
- Output Impedance
- CONSOLE OUTPUT jacks (1 to 8): 600 ohms
PHONES jack: 100 ohms
- Recommended Load Impedance CONSOLE OUTPUT jacks (1 to 8): 10 k ohms or greater
- Non Clip Maximum Output level
- CONSOLE OUTPUT jacks (1 to 8): +22 dBu (1 kHz, 10 k ohms load, typ.)
PHONES jack: 150 mW + 150 mW (1 kHz, 40 ohms load, typ.)
- Residual Noise Level (IHF-A, typ.) -88 dBu (All faders: Min)
- Equivalent Input Noise Level (E.I.N.)
- -126 dBu
- Display and Power
- 800 x 480 dots Wide VGA backlit TFT color screen
- Power Supply
- AC 115 V, AC 117 V, AC 220 V, AC 230 V, AC 240 V (50/60 Hz)
- Power Consumption
- 95 W
- Size, Weight and Other
- 749 mm (29-1/2 inches)
- 614 mm (24-3/16 inches)
- 230 mm (9-1/16 inches)
- 20.0 kg (44 lbs. 2 oz.)
*XLR type: 1 GND, 2 HOT, 3: COLD * Phantom power: DC +48 V(unloaded maximum), 14 mA (maximum load) (All XLR type inputs)
* LAMP power: DC +12 V/500 mA
* When a S-4000D REAC Splitter & Power Distributor or a switching hub is used in-line with REAC cables, the network latency will increase by the amount of processing delay introduced by the splitting device itself. The actual delay is dependent upon the specifications of the splitting device, though the maximum delay amount for a single splitting device could be about 200 microseconds.
* EtherCon is the registered trade mark of Neutrik®
In the interest of product improvement, the specifications and/or appearance of this unit are subject to change without prior notice.
CONSOLE OUTPUT jacks (1 to 8): -100 dB (typ.)
PHONES jack: 8 ohms or greater
- M-480 Remote Control Software for Mac v1.602
- M-480 Remote Control Software for Windows v1.602
- V-Mixer Driver Version 1.0.0 for Mac OS X (pre 10.8)
- USB driver for M-480/R-1000/M-200i on Mac OS X v10.5.8 through v10.7.
- V-Mixer Driver Version 1.0.0 for Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
- V-Mixer Driver Version 1.00 for Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- USB Drivers for the M-480 / M-200i / R-1000 on Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- V-Mixer Driver Version 1.00 for Windows 8
- REAC Driver Version 2.0
- M-480 System Update v1.602
- M-480 Images
If you have a question about operating your product M-480, please contact our Product Support department by phone or email.Support Documents
- Introduction to the V-Mixing System
- Audio-Follows-Video – Linking V-Mixers and Roland Video Mixers
- M-400/480 Labeling Template
- Use this PDF label template to print labels for your M-400 onto standard 8.5"x11" sticker or magnetic laser/inkjet paper. One page contains enough for one unit.
- M-480 Dimensions DXF
- Wireless Control for a V-Mixer
- Supporting a remote workflow for V-Mixer control via a wireless router.
- M-480 Architects/Engineers Specifications
- M-480 Architects/Engineers Specifications - Text Only
- M-480 Block Diagram
- Using a V-Mixer in a Cross Matrix LCR System
- M-480 Manual
- M-480 Additional Features Version 18.104.22.168
- M-480 Additional Features Version 22.214.171.124
- M-480 Additional Features Version 126.96.36.199
- M-480 Manual Complete v1
- M-480 RCS User's Guide
- M-480 Remote App Manual
- V-Mixer RS-232C Reference v2.1
- M-480 MIDI Implementation
- V-Mixer R-1000 Control
- M-480 Brochure
- V-Mixing System Brochure
- V-Mixing System for Houses of Worship